Benefits of Becoming a Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in volunteering. Every person involved in the Bay Race adds to its rich history and tradition. We couldn’t host this historic race without awesome volunteers!
No experience is required—share your skills and learn new ones. As a volunteer you will meet new friends, have fun and assist in hosting the oldest road race in North America.
All volunteers must complete the volunteer form and waiver. Volunteers under 18 years of age must have parental/guardian consent. Volunteers under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. The Volunteer Coordinator will contact past volunteers in Jan/Feb to confirm they are available for the Around the Bay Race.
All volunteers will receive an official volunteer shirt.
Volunteer in Groups
Reserve a Volunteer location for your group of 10 or more
Workplace—You and your co-workers can be involved by cheering on the runners or congratulating finishers by handing out medals. Contact us to hear of the many other opportunities available.
Schools & Clubs—Your band can play and/or your cheerleaders can cheer. Make it a competition, whether it is between schools or clubs. It’s a great way to fill your volunteer hours or community involvement. Get your Teacher, Leader or Student Union to contact us and join us in the fun.
Community—If your neighbourhood is along the race course, come out and support the runners. Set-up your own aid station (music, signs, water, cookies etc.) and cheer them on.
Family & Friends—Get a group together: it’s a great opportunity for you to spend time with each other and cheer on the participants.
If you are interested in volunteering as a group, please contact us at email@example.com and we will help to assign your group to one of the available areas.
Volunteer Job Descriptions and Opportunities
Use the job descriptions listed below to help you choose where you want to volunteer. Consider asking your friends, coworkers and or family to join you. Volunteer shifts will be assigned on a first come, first serve basis.
You may volunteer in more than one area and as often as you wish. Every effort will be made to accommodate your selection. We appreciate your understanding if we place you in an area that was not your first choice.
Dress accordingly and wear comfortable shoes.
Want to Volunteer but don’t know where?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and our volunteer coordinator will reply with some options.
We are looking for student volunteers who are committed to helping us stage a historic event. Remember to bring the proper form to document your hours and have the Bay Race Team Captain sign and confirm the completed hours before leaving. Volunteers under 18 years of age must have parental/guardian consent. Volunteers under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
Volunteer Your Ideas
If you have an idea or special talent you think would enhance the Around the Bay Road Race, please contact us at email@example.com. Thanks in advance.
Sponsors Still Welcome
It is never too late to help Sponsor this event. All support, whether financial or service in kind, is greatly appreciated. Contact the Race Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each of you is critical to the smooth operation of the weekend events and creating a positive, fun experience for all who participate.
- Visit our website at bayrace.com to learn as much as you can about the Bay Race and your volunteer area through the information provided.
- If your assigned area is inside FirstOntario Centre you will check-in at the Volunteer Room. All other volunteers will check-in with a Bay Volunteer Captain at the assigned area.
- You will receive an official volunteer shirt at check-in or at your assigned area.
- Please wear your official volunteer shirt where possible inside FirstOntario Centre—it helps to identify you as part of the Race Crew.
- Volunteers working on Sunday should be prepared for an early start time and a long day.
- Do not bring valuables or large items (bags, backpacks, etc.) to the expo. The expo is a large public event and we cannot be responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Dress warmly and comfortably for the area in which you are assigned to work.
- Stay in your assigned area and direct any questions to your Bay Volunteer Captain.
- In case of a medical emergency of runners, spectators, or other volunteers, contact official volunteer medical personnel (wearing Red Medic t-shirts) immediately.
- Focus on being helpful to all our guests—smile and be courteous at all times!